Saturday, July 10, 2021

One Thing Right Chapter 18 | Wenrene


One Thing Right

Chapter 18

"Through Thick And Thin" 


Joy found Wendy sitting at the lounge area and her sister was unsighted from the scene, she immediately came running towards her.

 

"Wendy-unnie! Are you alright? Did she harm you? What did she say? Are you okay?" She blurted out rushing, almost incomprehensible. Joy was in panic as she examined Wendy's physical built and face as if her sister might have done her harm. When she finally met Wendy's gaze, her chest tightened and it felt like time has stopped. She gulped. "W-Wendy unnie?"


Wendy was smiling and it wasn't the smile that she always wore whenever she wanted to conceal her emotions. It was strange for Joy, confusing even. How could Wendy smile after meeting her sister who, if Joy would describe it, a pawn of their strict parents. "Have you lost your mind, for real?" She blurted out in a spur of her messy and confused mind and it made Wendy chuckle.


"Get up there and sit beside me." Wendy instructed but quickly supported Joy to get up from kneeling in front of her to sitting beside her.


"You're making me more worried. Seriously, unnie, did Mina unnie hurt you?" 


Wendy shook her head, denying her claim. "I'm all good, in fact, I feel even better." 


Joy knew that Wendy wasn't lying, she seemed more enlightened. It's totally opposing her idea of what kind of person Mina really was in her mind. 


"What did she told you?" She asked and despite the positive atmosphere wrapping around her and Wendy, she still couldn't erase her concern of how their sudden meeting went especially on the topic of Wendy coming back to Canada.


"She told me she'll support whatever it is that I wanted to do."


Joy keenly examined her facial expressions and body language like how she used to when she's with Wendy. It has become a habit of hers to read in between the lines to whatever Wendy was saying to her. But right now, it felt like Wendy was just being... Wendy, like how she exactly met her the first time they got acquainted. A person that wears her heart on her sleeves.


"And what is it that you wanted?" Joy gulped, nervously.


"To stay here, with you, Seulgi and Irene." She smiled and her eyes were twinkling saying their names. 


Joy's eyes glistened and her mouth formed a pout indicating she's about to burst out crying and she did. Wendy embraced Joy tightly, brushing her back to comfort her. It's though as if their spot were reversed, it was now Wendy comforting Joy, an occassion that Wendy had been wanting to do for a long time but couldn't.


"Did you think I will leave you all behind?" Wendy asked with her voice shaking. Joy crying like a child to her was tugging her heartstrings and it makes her emotional as well but Wendy read the situation that she needed to become Joy's strength. Wendy was a lot stronger now, emotionally and mentally than how she had been for almost the entire time that she had spent with Joy in the past. She could feel it, how her mind and her heart were suddenly all clear after her biggest burden was lifted from her shoulders. And with that, Wendy knew that she's capable now to do the thing that she had been longing to do... to finally become useful and help out the person who had stood by her side from the very beginning. To finally support Joy back and become her pillar during her breaking moments, because that had been Joy to her from the very start.


"I won't go anywhere, Joy. I'll stick around you just like how you stick around me all this time. Because you've been my consistent light and hope during my darkest times and I will forever repay you for as long as I live." Wendy said as she expressed her gratitude over Joy. The latter's crying became even more louder and intense as she heard her say those words.


"Stop crying now, Joy." Wendy said softly and made a distance between them to see Joy's crying face and wipe all the tears that kept pouring with her handkerchief. 


"Why are you saying those tear jerking words to me! Now I'm a mess!" Joy struggled through her words but Wendy did her best to comprehend everything. 


"Even if you're a mess, you're still a beautiful child to me. That won't change just because you have snorts coming out of your nose."


"YAH!" Joy shouted and but still ended up crying. "I told you, stop saying tear jerking words to me. I can't stop crying because of that!"


"What? It's tear jerking how you have snorts coming out from your nose?" Wendy joked and Joy finally laugh throughout her crying. 


It took about 5 minutes before Joy finally calmed in Wendy's embrace, and that's when the older girl spoke again. "You're a strong person, Joy. But you're still young and you have weaknesses too so now that I'm getting better, will you open up your worries to me too?"


Joy need not to ask for more details as to what Wendy was referring to when she knew what she did. So she nodded and continued to listen to her unnie while she hang her head low, guilty.


"Will you be honest with me?"


Joy nodded.


"So, can I ask something personal?"


Joy nodded again.


"I heard from Seulgi what happened to your relationship with Sungjae."


Joy gripped the hem of her shirt. She knew where this was going and she didn't want it. The least thing she wanted to do was to hurt her cousin so she had to lie if she had to but, at this point, she knew Wendy would be able to read through her lies.


"You're a person that never settle to a person that treats you badly, so it's confusing to say that you stayed in a toxic relationship. It's not you." Wendy trailed off, she already had a hunch on what will be Joy's response to the question she's about to ask but she had to confirm it so she would know what to do next. "Why did you do it?"


"I've broke up with him several times, unnie, because we're fighting way too often but Sungjae always cry after and begged me to come back. We've been friends before we became a couple, so I have a soft spot for our past. So that's how our relationship kept going for years." Joy rumbled with difficulty but Wendy was not done probing yet.


"Was it because of me?"


"W-what are you talking about?"


"You love Sungjae but your relationship with him went through the rocks because of me, wasn't it?"


Joy went silent so Wendy took that as confirmation.


Wendy already had the feeling that she's the root cause of their fall out. It's not that difficult to point out when she recalled how often Joy visits her and prioritize her over her lover. She sighed for the nth time of the day that already concerned Joy.


"I'm sorry unnie. I don't want you to feel bad about it but... I really am serious when I told you you're my priority. Your existence in my life is my top priority. I don't think I could forgive myself if I lose you."


Wendy wanted to scold her but there's no point now to do it since Joy officially ended everything now between her and Sungjae. The best solution here, as what Wendy perceived and decided, was to make peace with the past and move forward. Because regrets only bring endless pain and suffering and that's something Wendy wanted to protect Joy from.


Joy's hands tremble again with her head lying low awaiting for her unnie's scolding and advices. So when Wendy brought her to embrace instead, her heart melted and tears poured from her eyes once again. It seemed like, even though she act tough and carefree, it is in Wendy's arms that she felt vulnerable like a child again. 


"This time Joy, I want you to be the one to make a promise to me." Wendy said as she rubbed the back of the younger girl. Joy didn't question and nodded as an agreement to whatever it is that would come.


"Trust me." She said and Joy finally looked at Wendy's eyes.


"Trust me that I will continue to exist as what I promised before. I'll continue to fight so please... I don't want you to sacrifice your own happiness because you're scared you'll lose me anytime of everyday. I don't want you to live in such fear. It's cruel." Wendy spoke with pain piercing through her heart as she based her words on her own experience with fear of losing something valuable. And to her, one of the things that triggered her anxiety and depression was her fear of running out of time to do the things she wanted. But that's what she's overcoming now. 


"I trust you, unnie. It's your depression that I don't trust." Joy firmly responded. 


"So are you telling me that I cannot be trusted because I have depression?"


Joy gasped at what she heard and immediately shake her head in disagreement. "No, no! That' not it!" She said repeatedly denying, however with that question coming from Wendy, she realized her insensitive mistake as well. She really did not realize that it could be read that way by Wendy.


"I'm not angry at you. If I don't know you well, I would probably think like that but I do know you well. You just wanted to protect me from the start, besides, it's only a few months ago that you found out about my depression right? You've been consistently looking out for me even before that instance. I am always thankful for that. But this time, I am asking you a favor to trust me fully that I'll keep my promise to you. Trust me that it's not an empty promise like I usually do with anyone, it's a promise that I'm serious in keeping for you Joy.... and this time for Seulgi, for Irene and our baby too. I have so many reasons now not to give up, Joy." She smiled and it convinced Joy fully that her eyes were like an open faucet with how she shed tears heavily.


"I'm sorry, unnie!!!" Joy gave in and succumb to Wendy's arms again for comfort. "I promise! Let's keep both promises to each other for the rest of our lives!" 



---


"I am not good with words, Wendy. Maybe you already know that with how we don't talk that much in the past, I don't share my thoughts about things either because that's how I am. Our parents might have thought, we're the same like that and I honestly thought so too."


Wendy nodded and waited for her sister, who was obviously having a hard time collecting and produce her thoughts into words. This is Wendy's first time to be having an up close, even a deep conversation, with her sister like this. Despite being a family, them, sitting side by side was considered a rare occassion for them. Opening up feelings were never their thing. They weren't the typical happy family like the others, Wendy knew that very well.


"We're never the same as the typical family. I've acknowledged it ever since that we're going through so much even at our young age. Since we got an age gap, we've never done something together and I was worried. But I hold on to my assumptions that since things are going okay and well with me, it'll be the same for you too. I thought, we have the same blood running through our veins so we should have the same capabilities and outcomes, right?"


Wendy watched her sister's usual firmness and calmness slowly dissipating from her. Mina begun wiping her palms to her pants, her taking  frequent deep breaths too. Wendy realized, even if they were a family, they never knew how to act one to each other so she cannot blame her sister alone in this, with how distant they've become. They did nothing but to abide the rules that their parents had set in their lives. They've become busy achieving these expectations from them as much as they could, it's how their time has passed and it's the reason why both of them never got close. So having a conversation like this, it's very uncomfortable.


"But I was stupid to think of such thing when I found out about your case, accidentally." Her sister continued, her voice slightly cracking.


They grew up in the same situation, but have different perspectives which explains why they have different outcomes. Wendy had known this before, but it is when Mina herself talked about it, that made Wendy finally felt relieved. Somehow, Mina validates her thoughts and feelings, and to Wendy, it's like a big boulder has been lifted up from her chest.


"Rose never disclosed anything to me about your case. I dig through your records, with my connections in the medicine field, when I accidentally saw you going inside her room when I did an unannounced visit. I hope you won't get angry with her, it's all my fault but I would understand if you'll change psychologist after this too. I'll just face her and apologize to her for that matter." She sighed for the nth time and Wendy nodded with understanding. 


"So since you found out about it, you decided to finally show up to my face?" Wendy asked bluntly which made the older girl taken aback.


"Is your sister prohibited in your life now?" 


"That's not what I said. It's just-"


"I don't show up to pity you nor beg for your forgiveness for being the worst sister. I am here to address my faults and make it up to you instead." Mina said straightforwardly, stating her purpose. 


Wendy jaw dropped. This really is her sister. "You don't have to. We're better far from e-" Mina didn't let her finish and went back to being feirce.


"First, I'll be very honest with you, so I'm requesting you to put your guard down and listen to me carefully." 


Wendy didn't budge. That request was impossible for her to grant. When Mina noticed her withholding, she dropped her a not suprising but still heart stopping news for her.


"I was asked to watch over your actions by our parents. I was asked to take you back to Canada too." Mina said looking sternly at Wendy who's now curling up in fear. "I did watch over you, but I won't take you back." She said and she noticed how Wendy jolted up and gave her a confused gaze.


"I'll protect you from them, no matter what. I'll explain until they finally understand, that your life is yours to live and not theirs." She sighed. "It's about time for them to catch up with the trend. They are so old fashioned when it comes to parenting and clueless how different people are now becoming." Mina said nonchalantly as if what she's saying was the easiest thing.


"They are tough. It's not the easiest thing to do."


"Nothing is easy in this world Wendy, but nothing is impossible. That is, if you'll face it fearlessly and make necessary actions towards it."


Wendy couldn't help but get amused by her sister's words, she didn't know if her sister was only bluffing with her courage she's sporting but... she's slowly buying it. Her sister is really that strong and brave ever since... it's like Wendy's admiration for her sister was coming back from the time they were still a child to this very moment. 


"So don't get rattled, Wendy." Her sister smiled at her. "You have all the time in the world to live whatever you like to be. I won't allow our parents to ruin you. So do me a favor of not ruining yourself either in return."


Wendy didn't say anything so Mina continued. "As for other people, screw them. Those who doubt you and criticize you harshly, they're just driven by their own insecurities, so why should you care about what they say? At the end of the day, they are not your people. Because if they are, they will support you, love you and protect you instead. Those people are the only ones worthy of your concern." She concluded. 


Wendy's guard was slowly crumbling as she listens to her sister's advice. Her sister 's encouraging words was boosting her self confidence and courage to face the world, something she thought she had lost from a long time ago. 


Suddenly, her sister wiped something on her face. That's when Wendy realized that she was already crying, and Mina was wiping her tears.


Wendy never felt this kind of support and security from her family which is why what's happening right now in front of her was making her emotional. She wanted to raise her guard again, doubt whatever it is that Mina was telling her but... she had long for this affection from her family so much that she couldn't stop herself from giving in. 


"I'm not here to make you cry, Wendy."


"Y-you're not lying to me, right?" Wendy said with shaking voice. She was still trying to suppress her tears and overwhelming emotions at this very moment.


"You'll see. I'll earn your trust, not by words but by my actions. Your trust is worthy to have because that is what will bind us through thick and thin. You're my sister, and whether you like it or not, I've already picked you as part of my people since you have been born in this world. I made mistakes as your sister ad we grew up, I'm not perfect in that sense, but it's not too late to correct those mistakes, right? I'll show you, how amazing it is to have a big sister like me."  Mina said with a smug look and Wendy genuinely smiled at her despite her tears gushing down on her face.



---


When Wendy was already done with her breakdown, her sister started another topic. "That pregnant woman. What's her name again?"


"Irene. Bae Irene. She's not just a pregnant woman unnie. She's my girlfriend." Wendy corrected her firmly. 


"I know. So, do you love her?" 


"Of course. She's my happiness. Loving her is the first thing I've considered that I did right." 


Mina stared at her with understanding and said, "Then I'm glad I protected and treated your happiness right." 


Wendy's eyebrows furrowed and when Mina read the confusion on her sister's face she explained further. "I was the one who welcomed her in this hospital... she's unconscious though. But I did that, I even gave her a big private room and best OB/GYN in this hospital too." She said yet again with pride and Wendy chuckled at how Mina was really serious in earning her trust, bragging the things she did for her. 


Then Wendy remembered something and took advantage of this opportunity with her sister. "Can I ask you a favor?" 


This time it was Mina's turn to chuckle. "You have that privilege to ask me any favor anytime Wendy. One of the perks of being my little sister." 


Wendy brushed off her sister's cockiness and asked, "Irene is a model. I'm afraid that what happened to her at the cafe would affect her job and the public's view, I don't want her to get hurt nor get worried more. So can you do something about that?"


"That's it?"


The younger girl was taken aback. "What do you mean that's it?"


"I already did that too, I forgot to mention. You can just relay that to Irene for her not to get worried." 


Wendy couldn't believe it, she was worrying for nothing. Mina really saved them right now. 


"Thank you unnie! I owe you big one!" 


"May I remind you, Wendy. You're still a Son. You can do things like this anytime. Did mom and dad took your cards?" 


Wendy shook her head. "I just don't want to use their money. And I'm not sure how to hire people to do some work like that."


"Then, here." Mina was handing over one of her cards.


"What are you doing?"


"You can have this. It's my money, not theirs. You can have it in exchange of those cards you don't use. I'll give it back to our parents."


"There's no way I will take that!" Wendy refused, pushing the card back to Mina.


"Yah! I'm your big sister! Just take it!" 


Wendy's jaw was dropping with how often Mina was using her 'big sister' title the entire time. She couldn't believe how Mina was enjoying this so much, she can't help but give in just to make her feel satisfied. 


"Okay, okay." Wendy took it with her head shaking and gave her own cards in return. Mina was displaying her happy face again with her victory.


"You're spoiling me."


"That's good if you feel so because you know what? You have to spoil someone else."


"What do you mean?"


"Your girlfriend is pregnant. She's passed her first trimester too. I'm sure she'll be having mood swings and a lot of cravings. You have to give what she wanted, okay?" Mina taps Wendy's shoulder repeatedly as if giving her strength to withstand the upcoming storm.


"Y-yeah, I heard about that to Seulgi. I don't know how to spoil her, but I'll find my way through it, somehow."


"Good. It'll be better if both of you move in together, so you can check on her anytime."


"Right, we should move in together." Wendy repeated and Mina was nodding. "Wait, WHAT?!" 


"What? You both will have baby soon so what's the problem about that?"


"We're not married."


"You really are a child of your parents, you're so old fashioned. Some couples are already living in together in this age, you know."


"But.. I want to marry her first before doing that."


"Then consider it done. Go pack your things and live together."


"What?"


"I'm going to arrange flight for both of you to get married soon. Canada is the best option since you're from there, don't worry, by that time both of you are there, our parents have agreed to that marriage already."


Wendy's mouth was left agape. Why is everything looking so easy when it comes to her sister? 


"I'm not in a hurry though."


"You're the one who wants to get married before moving in together."


Wendy paused. She recollected her thoughts, her sister is so stubborn and she's lost for words. Okay. The root cause of all this was about spoiling, so how did it ended to marriage again?


"I'll make things easy for you, Wendy." Mina started again. "Do you love Irene?"


"I do. A lot." She quickly responded which made Mina laugh a little. 


"Then why can't you marry her?"


"Because it's still early. She's still pregnant, I don't want to travel and risk that. Besides, this should be decided by both of us when it comes to marriage."


"Then propose to her."


"Yah! You're dictating me!"


"No, I'm not!"


"Yes, you are! You're the one rushing me now!" 


"I'm just giving you my support. If I sensed you didn't love Irene that much, I wouldn't persuade you."


"I need to think first."


"Aish! Enough with thinking, just go with it. It's obvious, you wanted it too."


Wendy blushed, she's lost for words again. "I do want to marry her but... I don't think it's the right time."


"Then forget about marriage for now and just move in together. This conversation is over if you just agreed on it from the start!" 


"Okay, okay! I'll move in with her! I'll ask her first, though." Wendy raised her flag, she just won't win with her.


"Okay! Deal." Mina was delighted. If she knew it's this fun to be a big sister then she could have connected with Wendy sooner.


---


Today is the day of Irene's discharge from the hospital. But before that, Wendy had explained everything to Irene of what happened. She apologized for not telling about her  identity fully and Irene was so understanding of her that sometimes she couldn't help but doubt if she's deserving of her. Irene really is such a wonderful gift in her life and right at this point, it felt surreal that they both ended up as lovers.


Wendy also discussed everything to Seulgi after, while Joy was busy organizing Irene's belongings to her bag. When they were about to exit the private room, Mina entered and borrowed Irene for a conversation that even Wendy knew nothing about. At the end of their short conversation, Irene bowed to Mina as respect and Wendy caught a smile gracing her face that made her relieved from worries as she watches them from afar.


When Irene returned to her side, her smile became even wider. She connected their arms together and finally walked towards the exit of the hospital.


"Irene?"


"Hmm?" She hummed, her free hand brushing on Wendy's left arm.


"What did unnie told you?"


"She just told me to take care of you."


"That's it?"


"Why? Is there something else she should talk to me about?" Irene turned to Wendy as they walk and the latter navigates her way protectively from other people walking opposite of them.


"Nothing. I was just worried."


"She really seemed genuine, Wendy. Let's trust her and I love it how you gained another person that supports you. I'm more than happy." Irene said as she slides her right hand to intertwine with Wendy's hand. She gripped it tightly, meet her eyes shortly and turn her gaze back to the front.


Without saying anything more, Wendy still understood and felt Irene's delightfulness. The distress on her face that she was carrying the previous days were all gone. Wendy knew how much worrying about her took a toll on Irene's health even though she was trying to deny and conceal it from them. Irene deserved better treatment and that's when Wendy remembered her sister's suggestion.


"Irene?"


"Yeah?" Irene looked at her lovingly.


They finally arrived at the hospital's drop off area and now waiting for Joy and Seulgi's arrival with the car.




"Will you marry me?"










No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think about the story! Thank you! -HW