Monday, June 21, 2021

Exchange Student [END] | Wenrene


Part 2/2

A/N:

italics meant they are speaking in English

normal font means they're speaking in Korean


Despite in her late 20s, Joohyun didn't feel any pressure to settle down unlike her colleagues at work. She's the type of person that won't go out there to date random people of the world. Imagining how her friends and colleagues go through series of forced interactions with strangers to find 'the one' just don't sit right with her at all. There's no way she could put herself in that kind of awkward situation. That's why she just hope that the one destined for her would be up for the challenge of finding her alone.


Joohyun just ignore her friends and colleagues' teases about how she'll grow up old without a partner with what she's doing. Aside from not searching for a partner, she kept turning down people who ask her out the first time. The list of her rejected people had been going on since elementary so yes, she's nbsb/ngsb despite her ethereal beauty. Joohyun is a straightforward person, if she doesn't like anything she'll say it outright regardless if that person get hurt or not. If there's just no spark at the beginning then there's no point of trying. She strongly believes that if she meets her other half she would know and feel it the first time. No matter what gender, if the right feeling and connection are there then she would know that person is the one for her.


Joohyun just never thought she would experience that to a certain exchange student. The people who Joohyun strongly not want to associate herself emotionally as part of a host family. She sighed for the nth time while she became absorbed with her thoughts as she starts the engine of her car.


"Are you sure you're okay? I think you're tired from work, we could still cancel it."  She heard Seungwan say with worry so Joohyun turned to the passenger seat quickly to make that go away. That didn't go easily as planned though, because she never expected how heartbreaking it was for her to see Seungwan's sad face until now.


"Oh no. I'm sorry, I was just thinking. I wasn't tired. I promise I won't leave you with my thoughts again."


"Are you sure?"


"Yup. Positive!" Joohyun said cooly with a smile, internally wishing that Seungwan's features would brighten up. 


"If you feel tired just tell me right away, we could take a rest for a while." Seungwan finally flashed a bright smile and Joohyun's heart skipped a beat.


Joohyun quickly averted her eyes and start maneuvering her car or they will stay in this parking lot forever with her just staring at Seungwan. She has to think and act properly this time and not add more embarrassing moments in front of her, she aims to salvage the remaining respect that Seungwan has left for her. 


Joohyun decided to bring Seungwan in the Lotte World, it's a tourist destination and recorded to be the largest indoor theme park in the world. She thought Seungwan might like it there. Despite hating rides as much as she hates being around a lot of people, Joohyun risked it all for Seungwan to enjoy herself and forget her loneliness even at the shortest time. 


"Woooow." Joohyun heard the younger girl reacted once they got into the place. Somehow, that boosted Joohyun's confidence, her sacrifice quickly rewarded. Perhaps this day would be a great day for both of them...


or not.


"AAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!" She screamed at the top of her lungs. She recalls again how in the world Seungwan's pout and twinkling eyes managed to convince her in taking this roller coaster ride. Joohyun mentally noted not to look at her eyes whenever she's requesting for something scary like this, she's too soft for her!


When they took off their first ride, and probably the last for Joohyun's entire life span, the older one looked like she's about to pass out now with how pale she turned out. 


"I'm sorry. I didn't know you're bad at this. If I had known, I wouldn't ask for this ride." Seungwan apologized and Joohyun brushed it off quick. 


"I didn't know I was bad at it either." She lied, again. "It's my fault, I thought I could do it but did you have a great time? Somehow?" Joohyun wished but disappointment came to her when Seungwan begun sulking again. But that didn't last long as it was quickly replaced with another bliss.



"I'll enjoy everything if I know you're enjoying this day with me as well. You can be honest with me, I won't be angry just because you decline something you don't want to do." She paused for a while and brushed the back of her neck with her hand. "I-I prefer to do the things you like more than what I like." 


Joohyun regained warmth to her face, her lips curled up. "I promise, I won't do that again. Then... would you like to see the aquarium?" 


"Do you like that?" 


"Yes." 


Seungwan's face brighten up again, her excitement has returned as well. "Then let's go!" 


Joohyun sighed subtly as she could to tame her loud heart, but her widening smile gave out her joyous feeling right now. She's now certain that this day will be a great day. 


Everyone in the Lotte World Aquarium was amazed by the gigantic aquatic creatures swimming behind the wide glass around them. Joohyun had been here several times, she liked it here, even more so now with Seungwan around. The student never ceased to amuse her with her reactions. Joohyun never met anyone like Seungwan before who displays her emotions clearly on her face. This is yet another charm of her that Joohyun came to adore.


"I-is there something on my face?" The student asked her shyly when she got caught staring. 


Joohyun didn't know how but she fearlessly complimented her. "You're very charming, do you know that?" She then watched Seungwan's face slowly formed a shade of red on her face. Her heart was beating so fast it's making her lightheaded at the sight. 


"T-thank you but.. have you seen yourself?" 


"Huh?" 


"You're the prettiest lady I've seen in my whole life." She heard Seungwan spoke and that's it for Joohyun's sanity.


"I-I'll go to the restroom." Joohyun excused herself, she knew she couldn't control herself reacting embarrassingly over Seungwan's compliment to her. She could squeal and giggle inside the toilet cubicle, just not in front of Seungwan.


"Do you want me to accompany you?" 


"NO!" She said outright that startled Seungwan a bit, so she composed herself and added, "S-sorry. Just stay here, I'll come back to you."


"You won't leave me, right?" Seungwan said with a pout, this moment is becoming more and more dangerous for Joohyun's  weak heart.


"Of course not! I-I'll come back to you. Just wait for me." This is sounding like romantic lines exchanged between couples in a movie to Joohyun, so she turned around to stop it immediately or she'll lose her remaining self control it all.


Their next stop together was to take dinner then go home. They spent and enjoyed most of their time at the aquarium that they forgot the time. 


"Any Korean food you want to try?" Joohyun asked.


"What's your favorite?" 


"Me? Tteokbokki." 


"Then I want to try that!" 


"Really?!!" Joohyun blurted out very excited and it caused Seungwan to chuckle. 


"Seems like I hit the jackpot." 


"Huh? What do you mean?" 


"Let's go prettiest lady I've seen in my life. Let's make this day even better with your favorite dish in our tummies." Seungwan offered with huge grin on her face. Joohyun was puzzled but forgot her curiosity instantly with Seungwan's greasiness. Another charm that Joohyun discovered and liked about the student. 



---


Joohyun rushed over to Seulgi's room when they got home while Seungwan greeted her parents. Joohyun buried her face to the thick sheets of Seulgi's bed to silence the sound she's about to release, she screamed.


"Kyaaaaa!"


"Whoah! What in the world?" Seulgi was sleeping  studying at her desk and only became aware of her surrounding after her sister's muffled squeal. "What happened?" She turned towards her sister.


Joohyun said something inaudble for Seulgi to comprehend.


"What? I can't hear you clearly. Get your dirty face off my bed sheet by the way, your make up will smudge on it."


Joohyun abided in low spirits so Seulgi commented, "Is the date that bad?"


"Seul, I don't know what's happening."


"Huh? What do you mean?"


"How can one small human have so many charms?"


Seulgi squinted her eyes to think but she ended up getting drowsy again. She shook her head awake and said, "Could you speak in a language I can easily pick on?"


Joohyun looked at her incredulously, it's pointless, Seulgi's still unaware when it comes to the matters of the heart. She may be teasing her last night about how age doesn't matter in love but she has never experienced liking someone before either, at least that's what Joohyun knew about Seulgi. She sighed but it's better to confess to clueless Seulgi, right? She won't get suspicious who's the target of her words.


"Seul, what will you do if you like someone you don't want to like?"


Seulgi's eyebrows furrowed at first but smiled next as if she realized something good. "Then I'll just continue to like that person. There's no point denying the fact that I like that person already. I mean, it's not like I could unlike that person as how we do on social media. Our feelings don't work like that. What's done is already done unnie, that's reality."


Joohyun sighed. 


"Why not suppress that feeling instead?"


Seulgi then gasped in disbelief and rebuked. "Why would I hurt myself like that? The more you hold back, the more it'll hurt unnie."


Joohyun sighed, defeated. "Are you sure you haven't liked anyone before?"


"Huh? No, I haven't. Why?"


"It feels like you knew a lot."


"Oh. I was thinking about the cake mom bought the other day when I was on a diet. That cake was my favorite but I had to hold back and now it's gone. I'm hurt! I regretted it a lot!" 


Joohyun scoffed as she watched Seulgi in the verge of tears. She was so wise and her object of affection was.... Joohyun shook her head in disbelief. But still, the explanation was valid, Seulgi was still right. Perhaps, she'll just let her feelings go on like this for Seungwan.

---


Joohyun always came to office an hour before their call time but because she wanted to impress Seungwan, she offered her a ride to her school reason why she arrived in the office almost on the dot. She never gave her little sister a ride before, so even if Seulgi's school was far from Seungwan's, she told her that she's included in the ride too so she won't receive suspicious look from Seulgi.


Surprisingly, Joohyun never felt it as a hassle. In fact, she was over the moon that she was able to see Seungwan's cute and mega attractrive sleeping face during the travel. It felt like she could take more projects to deal with or she could probably run her own company with how much that sight of Seungwan gave her energy. Mondays have never been this good in her entire working life. No, this is the best!


"I'm expecting a rattled you to arrive but there you are smiling like Joker in your seat. I guess oversleeping ain't your thing?" Joy, her best friend and seatmate in the office, teased while she put on red lipstick.


"How rude of you to compare this beauty to Joker... Ronald McDonald." Irene rebutted and Joy shut her mirror closed right after.


"Tch. Is it THAT red?" Joy ceased from their teasing war quickly, she needed a comment from another beauty after all.


"You're going to a design coordination meeting not a party, Joy. Lessen the shade at least." Joohyun handed out some tissue to her but Joy rejected it.


"That's the point unnie. I need to look that gorgeous as if I'm in a party, I'm going to ask extension for my deadline after all."


"Congrats, you did it clown."


"Unnie, is it really that bad? I'm really worried now." 


"Aish. I told you to do overtime last week but you just don't listen." Joohyun shook her head in dismay and proceeded to prepare her desk to work.


"Joy, your meeting will start in 15 minutes. The consultants are now inside the conference room 3." Their floor receptionist/secretary reminded her.


"Thanks! Tell me when the clients are there already, I'll head straight there after."


"Okay."


Joy then opened her pocket mirror to check her face again before starting another conversation with Joohyun.


"My lips are okay, Joohyun. You know what's redder than my lips?"


"What?"


"Your face when you're smiling like a fool in your chair. Something great happened?" Joy grinned at her with a knowing look. 


"This is more than great, Joy." 


"Oh really? Enlighten me." Joy finally turned towards her with full attention.


"I think I like someone."


1,2,3.....


"WHAT?!" Joy stood up and screamed out loud after 3 seconds, it earned the attention of their whole department. She only sat back down when Joohyun forcefully pull her down.


"Are you insane?!" Joohyun whispers, rage manifesting in the veins becoming visible on her forehead.


"You can't blame me for reacting this way! I've already accepted my fate to visit you, when you grow old and alone, in the future with my own family so this is the biggest plot twist of my life's story!"


"What?" Joohyun look at her incredulously but she calmed down eventually when the hard working gossipers in their office finally settled down.


"Joohyun, I've never in a million years expected this! Oh my God, this is a sign that doomsday is really coming soon!"


"Stop exaggerating will you? Oh gosh this is becoming more embarrassing."


"So what is he like then?" Joy set aside teasing Joohyun as she gets more curious on what kind of person made this woman's cold heart finally melt. When Joohyun gave her a stern look, she changed her question with quick understanding. "Okay. So what is SHE like?" At this point that Joohyun gave her the most shocking news of liking someone, there's nothing more that could surprise her now. Sexuality was no issue for Joy, her life motto was 'Just do you' after all.


"She's.... beyond words. She's surreal, I'm losing my wits when I'm with her. She's so beautiful in and out I want to cry." Joohyun covered her face in shame. In shame because she could clearly hear how whipped she sounded. She only rolled her eyes or curl her fingers when someone near her tell a story about their other half but now that she was put in the same place, she could never do the same anymore. Joohyun mentally noted to never cringe nor look down on people being so madly in love with their partners, she won't accept being called a hypocrite for that matter. Wait, in love?!


"Okay, there's no question you're in love but hey can you be a little more helpful to me and give me specific details?" Joy said calming herself before she slaps her best friend awake from her own delusional euphoria.


Joohyun sighed, resigned. Seungwan must have been working inside her heart and mind all this time with how fast a like escalated to love after their first 'date'.


"She... she makes my world... a lot better if not complete." She proceeded answering Joy's question after accepting her fate in love.


"Uh-huh." Joy was cringing so hard but she let Joohyun be, it's her first love after all.


"She's so lovely and smart too."


"Okay?"


"She's so funny and her laugh just resonates to my heart, I want to be the reason behind her laughter." Joohyun laughed softly when remembered something funny that Seungwan did.


"Great! We got 2 Jokers now."


"She's so kind and warm hearted. Exactly my type."


"This is getting boring, tell me something about her looks." Joy demanded, she wanted to hear something exciting.


"She's like a character from a story book. A beautiful snow fairy, no, she's a princess!" Joohyun exclaimed like she finally solved the puzzle in her head.


Joy face palmed, this conversation is not going anywhere. Perhaps slapping her friend's face really was a good idea before speaking to her.


"She looked really neat and fluffy. She smelled so nice and fresh too, like a baby!"


"Joy, the clients are here!" The floor receptionist announced and Joy was more than happy.


"Oh thank goodness, I'm saved!" Joy stood up enthusiastically from her seat making Joohyun return back to her right senses.


"You're going now Jo-nald?"


"Look, Joo-liet, are you sure you're in love with a real person and not a fictional character? Stop reading fanfictions will you? I'll set you up on a blind date after my meeting."


"What?!"


"Silence woman! I know you hate it which is why I haven't set you up before but after hearing you today? I think you really needed it." Joy look at her with dramatic loneliness as if pitying Joohyun's state.


"Joy, I am talking about a real person here!"


"Yeah, right. Talk to your computer screen, if it talked back to you then I'll believe your story. BYE!" 


And that's how Joohyun was left all alone and confused. She ponders what went wrong with her explanation at all, she was just telling the truth!


When Joohyun got home, Seulgi welcomed her like a happy puppy wiggling its tail. "Wannie decided to stay!" 


"REALLY?!" Joohyun blurted out excitedly, her voice went up from her usual excited self. 


"Yes! Thank you, unnie!!" 


"Huh? Why are you thanking me?" 


"Oh come on! It's because of you, Wannie's staying!" 


"W-what are you saying? Of course not!" 


"Don't be shy! Wannie told me she really enjoyed your company last Saturday."


"She did?" Joohyun blushed and bliss engulfing her. 


When Seulgi witnessed her sister's happiness over her good news, she commented, "Isn't it great? Being part of our student's life? Hosting ain't bad unnie, and there's nothing wrong becoming close to them. It's true that over time, they will leave our house and it's saddenning but it's our choice what memories to remember and cherish. And for me, our parents, we chose happy memories... like this one with Wannie." 


Joohyun nodded with understanding now. The feeling that she's the reason why Seungwan stayed truly is the happiest memory she'll retain and cherish in her heart and mind. Forever.


With renewed perspective over things, Joohyun decided to go all out and make the best happy memories with Seungwan while she can.


---


It's really true that time passes by quickly when you enjoy your time. The first month stay of Seungwan in their home vanished just like that. Joohyun made sure Seungwan had the best experience of her first month of course, she did everything she could for her. 


Joohyun was no longer just a mere interior designer nor cleaner for their student's room, she levelled up by offering to be officially in charge of Seungwan's morning transportation to school too. An activity that her parents were in charge before. Not only that, she always brought home food to share with Seungwan and Seulgi whenever she came home early. Seulgi was of course part of the props for her to spend more time with Seungwan. She also joined in the get away of the family with Seungwan every weekend. Joohyun wouldn't deny anymore that she, too, was having the time of her life when she started interacting with Seungwan on a regular basis.


Joohyun would be lying if she told that she wasn't afraid of her growing feelings for the student. In fact, it's the scariest thing she ever experienced because day by day she's loving Seungwan more and she just knew that by the time Seungwan bids goodbye to them, it'll hurt her the most. Just thinking about it sends her in the verge of tears.  


Now in Seungwan's 2nd month stay, Joohyun was even more determined to provide the student her full attention and time as much as she could. She extended her time spending with Seungwan and Seulgi at night, which meant less sleep for her since she also had to wake up early in the morning. Seungwan and Seulgi coincidentally have the same schedule of 2- one hour subjects in the morning so they always get back some sleep before their afternoon schedules, but Joohyun doesn't have that luxury as a working adult. She didn't mind it but her body eventually felt the fatigue and fell ill after 3 weeks. 


Joohyun got a cold on a weekend so she couldn't come to their usual family getaway with Seungwan. This was the worst feeling ever for Joohyun. 


When the whole family went away, Joohyun stayed in her bed sleeping. She thought, maybe in her sleep, she'll dream about Seungwan and they could both spend time together in there. 


After 2 hours, Joohyun woke up groggily from her sleep. She then reached out for a glass of water and medicine on her side table when a pair of hands did that for her. 


Joohyun squeaked in fear but returned to her wits when Seungwan spoke.


"Joohyun, it's me. Seungwan." 


"A-am I dreaming?" Joohyun said as she rubbed her eyes earning a chuckle from the younger girl.


"You're not dreaming, Joohyun. I'm here." Seungwan sat down beside Joohyun on the bed. 


"What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be out?" 


"You want me out that bad?" Seungwan said and Joohyun was sure she detected a tinge of disappointment or maybe not that certain since she's sick right now. 


"It's not that. You're the student here not my family, you should be the one experiencing South Korea more than them, you know." She smiled weakly. 


"I could still go, if you really want me to go." The sad tone again from Seungwan makes Joohyun's heart hurt. 


"I'm not pushing you away. I was just worried you'll be wasting your limited time stuck at home. I don't want that." Joohyun confessed and Seungwan sighed with understanding. 


"What do you want then?" 


"For you to have the best experience in Korea of course." 


"Then you should get well soon for that to happen again." 


Joohyun nodded. Seungwan really is warmhearted, she didn't want anyone being left behind from the family. Perhaps, travelling all together was Seungwan's preference to be called it the best experience. 


Now on Seungwan's 3rd month staying, Joohyun stopped extending her nights awake to spend time with Seungwan because the latter always scolds her when she tried to. It did not shorten the time they spent together though because Seungwan started fetching her from her office at night. She thought the student was only joking around when she offered her this so she said yes to it but Seungwan was really serious about it. This continued to happen despite Joohyun telling Seungwan to stop, explaining that it would tire her out.


Eventually, Joohyun gave in when Seungwan charmed her way for her to agree, this might be the reason why her parents agreed to drop Seungwan to her office after class in the afternoon. Joohyun became used to it and got happier that she's able to talk to Seungwan more with just the two of them in her own car. But all that halted after 2 weeks for a reason that Joohyun didn't know. Suddenly Seungwan became distant after it as well. 


"Why don't you ask her the reason?" Joy advised, finally believing Joohyun's love story to be real after she saw Seungwan herself in front of their building. 


"I could've done that but Seungwan really is good avoiding me that I couldn't." Joohyun bit her lip as frustration wash over her. It's been hard for her for the couple of days now, especially that they are now on Seungwan's last month stay with them. 


"Think about the time when she started becoming distant to you. Maybe you will get a clue from that." 


Joohyun did as what she's told but still couldn't point out what's wrong. "We always meet at the convenience store at the ground floor of our office building like the usual. I did not sense anything wrong that time." 


"Hmmm... were you with someone when you came in to the store?"


Irene's brows furrowed as she think hardly about it. There's been no one in her mind lately but Seungwan so she couldn't remember anyone else.


Suddenly a man's voice interrupted the two friends at the pantry they're in during their break. The mood quickly turned annoying for them.


"Hi Joohyun. Do you wanna hang out after work?" Suho, their officemate from different department, had been shamelessly pursuing Joohyun even though he was completely turned down since the first time he asked her out.


Suho has been one of the 20 officemates of theirs that asked Joohyun out but got dumped right away. They work in a large company so Joy was sure this count would still increase but this Suho really is the craziest among all. He doesn't know when to stop.


"Stop turning up everywhere I am, Suho. You're starting to get creepy. Stop it, I don't want to repeat this everytime because I don't want to sound like a bitxh but I don't really like you Suho. I'm sorry." Joohyun had been honest with him the first time that's why she can't understand why he's still been going. This time she gave him a threatening look for him remember his place and that finally made him leave them alone. Hopefully for good.


Suho was really nice and good looking guy that every girls from different departments had been gushing on but he's just not Joohyun's type at all. There's just no spark.


"Oh, I now remember. He also came that time with me at the convenience store."


"Really? Then that's your answer!" Joy clapped both of her hands happily that made Joohyun startled a bit.


"I... don't get it?"


"Gosh you're so dense. You really need my help everytime. I just can't leave you all alone by yourself."


"Quit playing games and tell me about it already, will you? I promise I won't tease you back for 2 days."


"1 month."


"1 week." Joohyun bargained, straight faced.


"2 weeks."

"1 week with one free meal."


"Call!"


Joohyun chuckled, she knew her weakness.


"Aish."


"Hurry up!" Joohyun whined so Joy leaned towards her and whispered the most surprising and unbelievable news of the day.


I think she likes you."


"What?!"


Joy shrugged. "That explains her behaviour recently towards you. Maybe she thought you have a boyfriend and that's why she became distant to you because she already likes you."


---


Since her last conversation with Joy, her awareness of everything that Seungwan does heightened and all of it just sent her heart pounding wildly. She honestly thought that she'll get a heart attack if she won't release all these feelings to the student before she leaves but that idea scares her as well. She didn't know what to do by now with her feelings especially when Seungwan was still avoiding her. If Joy's hunch was really true then a confession would go well right? But what if it wasn't true? This is literally making her insane! She rarely prays but she hope someone up there would help her out with Seungwan.


"Aaaack!" She groaned as she mess up her hair, she got startled when she noticed Seungwan by the door that instance as well. She curled up to her sheets out of embarrassment. 


"U-uhm.. I knocked twice but you weren't answering so..." Seungwan begun, an amused smile gracing her lips. 


"I-it's okay. Do you need something?" Joohyun said still behind the thick sheets.


"I was wondering if you'd like to have a night snack with me? I bought a lot but Seulgi's already asleep so..." She faltered. When Joohyun noticed the hesitance, she went out of the sheets and approached Seungwan quick before she remembers that she's avoiding her.


"Let's go." Joohyun seized the opportunity and grabbed Seungwan by the hand to go downstairs. She also mentally noted to give Seulgi a little token tomorrow for sleeping early.


It's been a while since they got together with just the two of them. It's now only 2 weeks left in Seungwan's 4 months student exchange program, Joohyun felt bad for the wasted days that they weren't together. She sighed.


"Are you okay?" Joohyun was so shocked when she heard Seungwan spoke Korean, it was a first! 


"Wait, you can speak Korean now?" 


"I can speak Korean."


Joohyun's jaw dropped. "WHAT?!!!" 


Seungwan let out a soft laugh. "You were all speaking to me in English all the time so I thought you wanted to practice it out, so I just let it be."


"Wait, do my parents know? Seulgi?"


"Uhm. Yeah. They knew about it since our first chat while I was still in Canada."


"Then why did they say you'll learn more about our language the first time?! Wait, is this a prank?" Then it dawned to her that her parents and Seulgi might have set her up into this. 


"They said you'll only speak to me if I speak English so I did my best." Seungwan rubbed the back of her neck with her hand. "It wasn't true?"


Joohyun gasped, she can't believe her parents and Seulgi's weirdness went overboard like this. They were doing this to teach her a lesson for not interacting with the previous students. She'll make sure to talk to them about it later but for now she needs to run down her past memories with Seungwan real quick, recalling whether she said something in Korean that gave away her feelings for her. 


(A/N: This is a flashback. Conversations were spoken in Korean.)


-1st day of Seungwan

"You're right, Seul. She's indeed so pretty." Joohyun commented after their shared meal together for the first time. A response to Seulgi's remark that Seungwan was so pretty in person. 

Seungwan at that time was helping out in clearing the dishes out of the table, they were side by side.

Joohyun didn't saw it but, Seungwan lips curled up and Seulgi was a witness to it.


-After their first 'date' and on their way back home/ in Joohyun's car

"I really hope you'll stay, Seungwan-ah. I've never interact this close with an exchange student we're hosting before, you're the first. And you know what? I had so much fun, I want to get to know you more. So please... stay?" Joohyun said as she drives, she thought Seungwan was asleep because she's quiet.  But little did she know, Seungwan only quiet because she got fascinated by the streetscapes of Seoul at night.

Again, Seungwan smiled.


-When Joohyun offered a ride to Seungwan's school the first time

"Unnie, can you fix your eyes on the road? We don't want to die yet." Seulgi said when she observed her sister kept looking at Seungwan who was sleeping at the backseat through her rearview mirror. 

"She's so cute." Joohyun only said.

"Unnie, I know she's cute but you're creepy."

"What? Are you jealous now? Should I stare at you instead?"

"Unnie, eyes on the road! I'll give you a picture of sleeping Wannie later!"

"Really? Okay!"

Seungwan shifted in her seat, she turned her head on the side to hide her reddening face.


-When Joohyun asked Seungwan and Seulgi to have a midnight snack the first time

"Wow you've never been this generous unnie, what happened to you?" Seulgi asked as she and Seungwan took their seats. 

"Love happened" Joohyun blurted out nochalantly while she prepared the food on the table. Seulgi grinned and then gave a wink to Seungwan who at that time was repressing a smile in front of Joohyun.


-After a sick Joohyun ate a home cooked meal and drank medicine all prepared by Seungwan

"Anyone would be very lucky to have you, Seungwan-ah!" Joohyun said as she put herself back behind the sheets of her bed to get some rest. 

Seungwan heard it but she wanted to test it out whether Joohyun would be able to repeat herself saying those in front of her. "Hmm?"

"I said, I'll be lucky if I'll have you." Joohyun rephrased her words not knowing that Seungwan understood her, clearly.

Seungwan bit her lip.



"Please tell me you're lying?!" Joohyun said after she remembered everything, she want to dig a hole on the floor right now and hide her face. She can't believe she had been confessing to Seungwan all this time. She did asked the heavens to help her out, but she didn't expect it to be this way! 


"I'm not lying." Seungwan smiled at her weakly and Joohyun noticed it right away but she read her reactions the wrong way.


"I-I'm sorry, if you feel uncomfortable because of me." 


"Why are you saying sorry? I wasn't uncomfortable."


Joohyun raised her head to look at Seungwan. Hope building up inside her. "You weren't?"


"I-I just thought..." Seungwan trailed off and Joohyun waited. "I thought... it was real."


Joohyun was baffled, "What do you mean?"


"I thought you like me."


"I do."


This time it was Seungwan who raised her head and finally, both of their eyes met. 


"But it's wrong."


Joohyun's brows furrowed. Is Seungwan against same sex relationship?


"There's nothing wrong with it if we love each other!" 


"You l-love me?" Seungwan gasped.


"Yes. I love you, Son Seungwan." Joohyun confessed, she got carried away by the moment that she forgot everything including her fears. Her focus stayed on her feelings for the person she's been loving since day one.


"Great, because I love you too." Seungwan said in a low tone but Joohyun heard it all clearly because if she didn't, her heart wouldn't go wild beating like this in her chest. 


Joohyun held both of Seungwan's hands on the table, "But why are you not confident with it?"


"Because you have a boyfriend."


"NO! I DON'T HAVE A BOYFRIEND!" She said quickly with certainty and finality. She cannot imagine herself with anyone but Seungwan after all.


"Uh.. but the other day.."


"He's an officemate nothing more." Joohyun added into her note to give Joy a token of appreciation as well for being accurate on this one. She'll make sure to ask for love advices from her too in the future. 


"You're not only saying that, right?" Seungwan's eyes glazed, her tears nearing to fall and that's Joohyun's cue to stand from her chair and embrace this poor little ball of fluff. 


"I'm telling the truth Seungwan-ah. Don't cry." Joohyun sighed embracing Seungwan, who also resigned in her arms. She knew that she's supposed to comfort Seungwan with this embrace but, it felt like she's the one who needed this the most. Like finally, after so many years of being away and not knowing each other, their paths crossed and now in the place where they really belong. 


---


The remaining two weeks was spent with Joohyun and Seungwan as lovers. After the night they confessed to each other, they decided to tell to the family as well. Joohyun insisted, mostly, because she aimed to go all out for Seungwan with all the time she has left to be with her. And above all, Joohyun cannot restrain herself from looking nor acting lovey dovey to Seungwan anyway so there's point in hiding. She already had enough keeping her feelings to Seungwan for too long, she wouldn't be able to that anymore. Thankfully, Joohyun's family was very supportive. 


Joohyun never imagined that she'll interact closely to their student more so to fall in love with any of them. But then again, Seungwan was never just a mere exchange student to her because Joohyun strongly believed now that Seungwan was her 'the one'. 


"You finally found me." She said out loud while she watches Seungwan in her specs reading a book on the sofa. Her laptop and blueprints on the table was long forgotten.


"You said something?" Seungwan put down her book and her attention now on Joohyun. 


Joohyun couldn't help but smile, she liked it. How Seungwan gives her all of her attention. 


"I said, you finally found me... but I found you first." She said with pride how she fell in love with her first. 


"Oh. Are you sure?"


"Yup. No more plot twist, right?" Joohyun boasted and even swayed left and right with her victory. Seungwan's lips curled up and finally let out a laugh. 


"Yup. No more plot twist. Do you want to grab some bubble tea or..."


"Or?" Joohyun repeats.


"Do you want to take an afternoon nap?"


"Hmmm.. what about both?"


Joohyun knew how much Seungwan loves bubble teas by now and how considerate she was with her feelings. The fact that she laid out that second choice was another proof of that because it's a choice that was for her.  Sleeping, most especially cuddling, in bed with Seungwan was indeed her favorite thing in the world.


"Sounds good! I'll call for delivery." Seungwan took out her phone and dialed her favorite bubble tea shop.


Meanwhile, Joohyun sighed in contentment watching the love of her life.


"You love me that much?" Seungwan suddenly started.


"Hmm?"


"You keep staring at me."


"Oh. Does that make you uncomfortable?" Joohyun got alarmed.


"No. It's just that..."


"It's just that?" Joohyun repeats.


"I want to stare at you too."


Time stopped for Joohyun but her cheeks turning rosy didn't. Seungwan just brushed the back of her neck again, biting her tongue, all signs that she's all shy with her own feelings revealing.


Joohyun stood up from where she was and approached Seungwan on the sofa. Because of Seungwan's sweetness and innocence, her knees got weak and the tingling sensation on her skin made it all difficult to move but her urge to cut the distance between them was winning them all. 


"Seungwan-ah. Look at me." She ordered and when Seungwan did, she cupped her face softly with both of her hands and kissed her for the first time.


Joohyun didn't know how it was possible, how her urge to be with Seungwan forever grew even bigger with just one kiss. How determined she grew to show her how much she's cherished by her for as long as she lives. So... this is what love tasted, Joohyun thought. She was never addicted to anything in her life but this probably would be the first.


When they both separate from their kiss, Seungwan said something that made Joohyun pull her for another round.


"I think I love kissing more than bubble teas."


---


"So this is goodbye?" Joohyun heard her mom spoke to Seungwan. Her voice was shaking, obviously getting emotional from the separation. They are all in the airport to send away Seungwan, their exchange student.


"Wannie, take care back in Canada. Let's stay in touch, okay?" Seulgi said crying. It's the first time Joohyun heard Seulgi asked their student such request. They indeed became the best of friends.


"You can always come back, Seungwan. Not as an exchange student, but as part of our family." Her dad tapped Seungwan's shoulder, giving her an assurance.


Of course, Seungwan is no longer an exchange student to them because she is Joohyun's girlfriend, later fiancé and finally her wife.


Joohyun smiled to herself as she gaze down the promise ring that Seungwan gave her.


"Joohyun it's time to say goodbye to Seungwan." Her dad called her out.


When the family gave them a private moment Joohyun hugged Seungwan tightly, afraid to let go.


"You know this is not goodbye, right?" Seungwan said, muffled.


"Of course but I can't help it, I want you to always be by my side. I told you, you're perfect in my eyes."Now that Seungwan knows Korean, there's no stopping her now in calling her perfect. "What if someone take you away from me while we're apart? Should I go with you?"


Seungwan chuckled as she patted and rubbed Joohyun's back. They've talked about it already, their promise rings were the outcome of it.


"I'll miss you."


"I'll miss you too."


"Don't look at anyone, okay?" Joohyun threatened jokingly.


"Yes, ma'am."


Then they both shared a laugh but still not letting go despite hearing Seungwan's flight from the speakers.


If it wasn't for Joohyun's mom, both of them won't separate at all.


"Go now Seungwan-ah before I change my mind and run away with you instead." Joohyun pouted but still waved goodbye.


"I love you, Joohyun." Seungwan said as she waved back, slowly departing from them.


"I love you more Seungwan-ah, you have no idea how much."


"Yuck, what is this scene?" Joy made it to the airport but the part she witnessed was this.


"Oh, Joy?" Seulgi found her.


"You never call me unnie, huh? You brat!"


"I feel like I'm older than you in the alternate world so I really find it strange to call you unnie."


Joy rolled her eyes. "You know what's more strange than that?"


"What?"


"You and your mind." Seriously, these sisters surely are the weirdest people in her life. One was a fool for love who instantly changed personality overnight and the other one here with her, her mind lives in another world. Joy could only shake her head, but that's probably why they're all friends, they are all crazy in their own ways. 

1 comment:

Let me know what you think about the story! Thank you! -HW